Wednesday, March 4, 2015

After hours musician

Today, Wednesday, is the first day of the third trimester at my school. This means I have stacks of things to grade while also working on report cards, which are due on Monday. Tomorrow my class is having an essay celebration to which we have invited the parents. Some of my 4th graders are still revising their essays. I will be talking about writing being a work in progress when I kick off the celebration - organization, spelling, word choice - every child is at a particular place in his or her growth and so all their essays are not perfect.

So life is somewhat stressful this week. Too much to do! However, last night I was at a band rehearsal. Monday night I was at an orchestra rehearsal. Last Saturday I played a children's concert. In addition to being a 4th grade teacher, I play French horn, or horn as we horn players call it. I play regularly in three different groups - a concert band, a community orchestra, and a horn choir. Sometimes my fellow teachers ask how I can find the time for all this music making. My answer is, how can I not? I love teaching, but I also love music.

I was a musician before I was a teacher. I attended music school and was fortunate to study with some awesome musicians. I spent hours every day playing my instrument, listening to music, talking about music.

I no longer do all that, but it is unthinkable to me that music would not be a huge part of my life - playing and listening. It does take a big chunk of time, because I also have to practice on the days when I don't have a rehearsal. I tell everyone that I don't watch television because I play horn instead, and that is pretty much the case.

A question that I get a lot when people find out that I have music degrees is, do I use music in my classroom. Not much. I find it incredibly distracting.

And now, I should go practice.


4 comments:

  1. I could feel the frantic energy in this piece. Report cards seem to push many of us off the edge. I guess it is because our words become permanent reminders of a child's work at that moment in time. It is not who they are; rather, it is a snapshot in time. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have hit the nail on the head. It's a snapshot and sometimes the child has already changed by the time the parents get the report card!

      Delete
  2. My suspicion is that your music-making is a reprieve, an unwinding, just the right choice as the crescendo of your trimester occurs! (Apologies for the music pun.) My son is a music major; he teaches music to young children - I know he would agree wholeheartedly with your words, "I was a musician before I was a teacher." I enjoyed this slice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right! Though it's often hard work, playing is an unwinding opportunity for me. Good luck to your son - teaching music is very rewarding.

      Delete