Friday, March 27, 2015

Backyard barbeque

When I got up this morning once again the ground was covered with snow! This time it was just a thin coating, sure to disappear in a few hours. We had invited a friend over for dinner and I had decided to make chicken on the Weber grill. A little snow was no problem.

Off to the store to buy the ingredients. Back home, I mixed up the orange-chocolate chip cake and put it in the oven.

Then came the phone call from our guest. "I'm so sorry, I'm not going to be able to come for dinner tonight. I have an emergency here." He explained that one of the elderly cats in his care had either gotten injured or sick and had to be rushed to the vet. The cat is 17 years old, the vet doesn't know what is wrong with it. The plan is wait and see. Our friend is very distressed and needs to stay with the cat for now. We understand and sympathize.

However, I had bought all the food, so the barbecue was still on. My brain didn't seem to be totally cooperative, though. I grill all summer, but today I wasn't on it. The charcoal started just fine in spite of the chilly weather, but I forgot to put the top of the grill on when I started the chicken. It burned on one side. When I realized what I did, I turned it over and put the lid on. The fire died down to almost nothing. Meanwhile, I was making everything else - roasted vegetables, fruit salad, and broccoli. And just to complicate things more, since I don't eat meat, I was also making a crab cake.

In spite of my issues with the chicken, everything was not only edible, but tasty. The chicken did get done. The cake, still waiting to be eaten, is very pretty! And my dinners will be simpler for awhile.

1 comment:

  1. I could say that someone, somewhere, where it is still winter, I looking towards spring!

    ReplyDelete