Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Cookie Frenzy

One of my fun list items for spring break was to cook and bake. I really like cooking and trying new recipes, but often there's no time or energy for much cooking during the school week. Pasta with sauce from a jar is an almost weekly dinner, along with a stir fry (using up all the vegetables in the fridge) and maybe tostados with refried beans from a can.

This week I have tried two new dinner recipes so far. One was a hit and the other was interesting, not to be repeated.

Today was cookie baking day. I wanted to send my mother a box of homemade cookies. She's going to be 93 in June, living in Minnesota in independent/assisted living. Though she has a little kitchen, she doesn't use it much, and any homemade food is a welcome change from the dining room. I baked a batch of blondies, about 5 dozen chocolate chip cookies, and about 2 1/2 dozen chai spice snickerdoodles, a new recipe. The snickerdoodles are excellent, crisp and warmly spiced.

I won't be sending all the cookies to Minnesota, so we will also be enjoying a bounty of sweets.

6 comments:

  1. Such a nice gift for your mother... and it must have made your house smell like a home :) enjoy the sweets enjoy your mom. Count your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments! I do count my blessings -- I have a wonderful mom.

      Delete
  2. Oh my...now I need a cookie! Thank you for sharing this "sweet" post and giving me some ideas for how to spend my spring break next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift! I can only imagine who she will dole those out to friends and staff proudly talking about the baker. What a good use of a vacation day....maybe next week for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to actually visit her in June! She's a wonderful mom and grandma.

      Delete
  4. A box full of cookies. YUM! Now that's a delicious gift.

    ReplyDelete