Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Live Long and Prosper

Leonard Nimoy, the original Spock, died a few days ago. I watched Star Trek (the original series) the first time it was on television. I watched it in reruns. And when the first movie came out in 1979 it was like seeing old friends that you had missed for years and here they were again, Looking a little older, but still the same.

Back when Star Trek was on TV the first time, my brother and sister and I liked to play Star Trek, just the three of us. My sister and I shared a very spacious bedroom upstairs, which was ideal for all kinds of playing. So the room became the Enterprise. My brother was Mr. Spock (he was perfect, even as an elementary student). My sister was Captain Kirk, and I played all the other roles, but I liked Scotty the best.

The main reason this has stayed so firmly in my memory is that one day when we were playing , we recorded it. I had gotten a small reel-to-reel tape recorder as a gift. We turned it on, and that one day's episode was recorded. Our plot that day was the Enterprise was attacked by Klingons, or maybe Romulans. The ship took a hit and was listing. Scotty was alarmed, but Spock suggested the solution- having everyone on the ship move to the side that was higher. The captain made the order and the ship was saved! I love this solution, so logical and ridiculous at the same time.

Thank you, Mr. Spock. Live long and prosper.

6 comments:

  1. Cute story! How nice that you have that recording.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my Star Trek trajectory too -- minus the siblings -- and I was in my twenties

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I was not a Trekie, my world was filled with those who planned their weeks around shows! I am sure many of them wish they had that recording!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved playing pretend when I was little, too. Although my brother and I watched Star Trek together (ours was the Enterprise under Picard), we actually played Transformers and GI Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right with you Becky. My brothers and I also watched Star Trek on the TV in its original form. Loved Spock, not as a Trekie but just as a fan of a great story and one amazing character. A new layer of my faves are leaving us.
    Bonnie K.
    http://digitalbonnie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in a rural home, without TV. I feel like I missed something big in Star Trek.

    ReplyDelete