Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Hurricane Harvey

My daughter moved to Houston about two years ago. She went down to continue her music education and she has now begun to establish herself as a professional musician in Houston. She won an audition for the Houston Ballet Orchestra and is now the second horn. She freelances and teaches as well.

All was fine.

This week when people ask me about her my answer is, "she's safe." I hope she stays safe. We (her dad and I) wanted her to drive to Dallas where the parents of a friend had offered her a place to stay, but she waited too long in deciding to go and then couldn't safely leave the city. To complicate matters, she is between apartments and was staying with friends. She ended up at the home of a different friend, a fellow musician. They are in an area that has not been too wet, though they got water in the house on Saturday night. They have a generator and plenty to eat. They found a snake in the backyard -- the snakes are trying to find shelter too!

I am so grateful to the family that has taken her in. I am worried that their neighborhood may still get flooded. Another friend of mine was evacuated from his house last night. I am also so grateful for the rescue workers.

It's the beginning of the school year and so every day I go home exhausted, but it seems to be more so this year. I finally realized that the constant worry about my daughter is draining even more energy from me. I am also so sad for Houston. So many people losing their homes and possessions. The beautiful opera house is apparently under water. And they say the water may take months to recede after it finally stops raining.

It truly is a force of nature -- unstoppable.

14 comments:

  1. My heart is in Houston too. So sad. We lived there for 11 years, so I've been busy checking on friends. I'm wondering if your daughter knows a horn player that we knew when she studied at Rice and lived in our neighborhood with an elderly neighbor. She's still in the area, still playing horn, and has five children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might know your horn player friend. She definitely knows people at Rice in the music school.

      Delete
  2. Wow. I'm so sorry for the toll this is taking on your family. What a tragedy for so many Houstonians. I hope your daughter stays safe and the rain stops soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many have been affected by this horrendous hurricane. I'm thankful your daughter is safe. I hope her life and her city returns to normal sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worrying is exhausting! I'm glad your daughter is safe, and I think the idea of even snakes seeking safety is an intriguing idea for a picture book! The image of the snakes makes it SO real! So, so scary and sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's not just the snakes, officials have warned that alligators are also in the flood water, trying to escape! That could be an awesome picture book!

      Delete
  5. What a lot to have on your mind! I am so glad your daughter is safe. It is unimaginable to me to be surrounded by so much water...unimaginable and horrible that it may take months to recover. Thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for your daughter, her friends, and all those impacted. I can't imagine the worry you are going through right now. It does take it's toll, so look out for you, too. Best, Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are right, it takes a toll on us parents up north and we do need to take care of ourselves too.

      Delete
  7. I am glad that your daughter is safe, Becky. Long Island was faced with the Superstorm Sandy disaster but it did prove that the human spirit is resilient. Act of kindness were constantly shown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are right, I see people helping others in Houston, rescue workers and ordinary people. And others are already working to raise money to help after the hurricane.

      Delete