Saturday, March 21, 2015

1st day of Spring and Spring Break!

I made it to Spring Break! I left school shortly after dismissal in a rush. Such a rush that now I have to go back to retrieve a few things I should have taken with me. I was in a rush to catch a train to downtown Chicago to go to a Chicago Symphony concert at which Yo-Yo Ma was the soloist. It was certainly worth the rush and the extra trip back to school. This morning, Saturday, my husband and I got up to attend the bar mitzvah of one of his young cousins. So it wasn't really until this afternoon that I felt I had really made it to spring break.

I was tired. It has been a long couple of weeks with report cards, school auction (major fundraiser), service learning, debates, quizzes, tons of grading. So I didn't want to do anything! The newspapers have been piling up and so I grabbed a bunch, lay on the couch, and read. This gave me the feeling that I was purposeful - I was reading the papers, which is why we get them - and then I could recycle them and so declutter. And I read some interesting articles, including a good one on how not getting into the prestigious colleges of your choice not only won't damage your future success, but may end of being the best thing to happen to you. (If you'd like to read it, here's the link.)

I tried to take a nap, but I'm just not a good napper. So I decided to make a list of things to do during spring break. Even before making this list, I know I will not be able to accomplish everything on it. Let's just think of it as a menu that I can choose from.

1. Start walking and exercising again. Three days of outdoor ed is coming up in May and climbing up the dunes at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is a killer if you're not in shape. Besides, it's good for you and makes you feel good!
2. Catch up on stuff around the house, like cleaning.
3. Practice! Not that I don't practice every week, but not only is a week off the prefect time to get more practicing in, my daughter and I are playing a duet concerto together in May.
4. Get together with friends that we haven't seen in a awhile.
5. Taxes. Sigh.
6. Catch up on blogging. I have two other blogs besides this one. In one I write about music-related things, and the other is for reflecting on my project to include more problem-solving lessons, including some design thinking activities, in my teaching. Both these blogs have been sadly neglected.
7. Cook and bake! I love to try new recipes when I'm not in a rush.
8. Read. It began with a search for information on Revolutionary War hero Joseph Warren in order to help a student research his report. Now I'm interested, too, and have a good adult biography on Warren. I also have a biography on Deborah Sampson, who disguised herself as a man so she could join the Continental Army. I need to review that one for another student. After those, there's a stack waiting of mysteries, nonfiction, other biographies, and so on.
9. Study for my gifted education endorsement exam. Sigh. I hate dealing with bureaucracy and trying to figure out how to apply, sign up for the exam, and access the online state department of education has not been fun. From what I hear, the exam is no fun either.

And of course I'll be blogging here each day.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! what a list of to do items you have. I am glad that these are options that you choosing from rather than all are musts. The fun ones sound like a good option. Your concert must have been marvelous. Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! what a list of to do items you have. I am glad that these are options that you choosing from rather than all are musts. The fun ones sound like a good option. Your concert must have been marvelous. Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your list, and I love the idea of using it as a menu! I'm a dyed in the wool list maker, and of course I never accomplish all that I write down. From now on I'm just going to consider my lists a menu! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved how you sat down to read the stack of newspapers before recycling them. I always feel guilty if I don't read them first! I, too, loved your idea of a "to do" list as a menu. That makes it seem so much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy! One more week here and then I will be making my menu list too! Just do not let your list make you feel guilty- you need the break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy! One more week here and then I will be making my menu list too! Just do not let your list make you feel guilty- you need the break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - this is SOME LIST for vacation. I will start on mine next week. I hope my list will be shorter, but I doubt it will. I could take your list and with a bit of morphing, it could be mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like quite a list! Too bad you don't get a second spring break to recover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your menu. Newspapers, mine pile up too, especially in March when I spend all my spare time writing or commenting. Hope you'll have a wonderful break with plenty of time for doing just what you want and with some time for kicking a few of those onerous tasks off the list also.

    ReplyDelete