Monday, August 10, 2020

The Mystery of the Missing Shoe

 I wear sandals as soon as the weather warms up in the spring and I keep wearing them even when I need to wear socks with them. I love my sandals. It takes me awhile to get used to confining my feet in shoes when the weather gets cold. And it does get very cold in Chicago in the winter.

My favorite sandals are a pair of Tevas. I'm on my second pair of these. They are perfect - comfortable, no toe separator, waterproof, and durable. I got black - they go with everything. 

I have been wearing them everyday this summer. A few nights ago I took them off and dropped them in my closet, like always. In the morning I went to put them on and only one was there. Must have gotten shoved to the back of the closet, right? Or kicked under the bed. Or maybe I took them off over by the dresser and left one over there.

The missing sandal was not in the closet, under the bed, or anywhere else in the bedroom. Even though I knew that I had not been walking around with one sandal on, I looked in the other rooms upstairs, then in the living room, dining room, family room, and laundry room. Nothing. I also checked the garbage, which was out by the curb awaiting the garbage truck.

I told my husband about it. He suggested all the places I had already looked. He also said it had to be somewhere. I guess that's true.

Then I had the idea that since the sandals have quite a bit of Velcro on them that maybe the sandal stuck to something and got carried away. I checked the laundry basket and rechecked all the places I had checked before, except the garbage, which was now gone. Nothing.

It has to be somewhere, right?

As I moaned about how much I loved these sandals, that they were my second pair since I had worn out the first, my husband said, "You know you like these and you're going to buy another pair after this one, why not order another pair now? You're going to use it."

So, after another day without the sandal reappearing, I ordered a new pair. 

That single sandal must be somewhere, though. Right?





8 comments:

  1. Funny story! Your husband was generous and right- you will use new sandals even if the old one were to show up ( which for me probably might happen as soon as I put the order in).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It hasn't shown up yet, but probably as soon as the new ones arrive, I'll find it!

      Delete
  2. Now that was a good mystery slice before bedtime. I really get annoyed with myself when I misplace items I know I had a while back. Your husband had a wonderful solution. Just think you will have your new sandals soon and you may even find your lost one. Any dogs in the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we don't have dogs or cats. When we had cats small things would disappear. One cat liked toothbrushes, but we generally didn't want them back after she had used them.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this because I can relate. Three years ago, I lost one of my black Frye boots. I have no idea how that happened. The one I did not lose still sits in my closet hoping to be re-united with its other half!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mystery deepens. Where did that sandal get to? Where will it turn up? Who will find it? I love a good mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it ever does show up, I will leave a comment here!

    ReplyDelete