Tuesday, September 12, 2023

On becoming decrepit

 I have had back trouble since I was a teenager. Back then it was pulled muscles -- very painful, but manageable. Thangs got more serious in my 40s, with a wonky disc sending me to the hospital for a number of days -- they gave me some strong narcotic for the pain, but I was still in pain, just really dopey.

I recovered from that with a steroid shot in my spine and went along for the next couple of decades without much problem. Now though, I have new back problems! I thought it was the same thing - a protruding disc that was hitting a nerve -- but no, my new orthopedic doctor (my previous and much trusted doctor having retired) sent me for tests and found it was shrinking discs, spinal stenosis, and sciatica. Sigh. Turn 70 and everything goes to pot.

So I'm going to physical therapy -- what a blessing. I'm doing the exercises faithfully at home between appointments and I feel much better. I expect I will have to keep doing the exercises forever, but that's a small thing compared to managing pain without drugs. 

We want to take a few trips via airplane- visiting my husband's oldest friend who has moved to New Mexico, going to LA and San Francisco to attend concerts by their orchestras. I'm not at the point yet where I can sit for 3 or 4 hours without standing and walking, but I'll get there. Decrepit but determined!

10 comments:

  1. So sorry that you are experiencing such pain! I hope the exercises continue to help you feel much better. Love those final words, "Decrepit but determined!" - you have a good sense of humor, calling yourself decrepit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have wonderful physical therapists, knowledgeable and caring, as well as good listeners. That makes such a difference.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your last words are so what I needed to hear today - "decrepit but determined!". I have had a health issue that sidelined me for most of the summer and your words gave me a boost today by upping my determination to keep on enjoying what I can. Thank you so much. I know you will get to those concerts with your fierce determination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so happy I could give you a bit of a boost. Best wishes for better health!

      Delete
  4. Did you know Art Linkletter wrote a book OLD AGE IS NOT FOR SISSIES and Bette Davis is known for a similar quote: "Old age sure ain't for sissies"? You captured that philosophy here. I believe that's a stage we all go through. Thanks for the humor and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the PT is helping. Being in mu 70s I just tell myself that pain is me body's way of telling me I'm still alive. I tell my body to let me know some other way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad the PT is helping - keep it up! Being in my 70's,I find a new ache, pain or soreness almost every day. Keep up being determined with your eyes on the prize of moving, and sitting, and going forward.

    ReplyDelete