Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Boston! A brief travelogue

 We just got back from 4 days in Boston yesterday. I had only been to Boston once, when I was 17. My parents and I went to look at Boston University. I don't remember seeing much of the city. I don't even remember much about BU. (I did get accepted, but didn't go there.)

This trip was with my husband. We are engaged in a quest to see and hear as many major orchestras in their home hall (that is, not on tour), with their music director (not a guest conductor). And so, we saw and heard Gustav Mahler's Symphony #8, which calls for a large orchestra, a large chorus, plus a children's choir, and 8 vocal soloists, conducted by music director Andris Nelsons. It is nicknamed the "Symphony of a Thousand." The concert hall, Symphony Hall, was built in 1900, though it has been modernized since then. It was a lovely evening.

But there's way more in Boston than the Symphony! We ate really well - I'm not going to weigh myself for awhile! Wonderful seafood, not surprising. If you go to Boston and want a wonderful meal, I recommend the Atlantic Fish Company. We also ate a superb Italian restaurant, recommended by an Uber driver, Limoncello, in the North End. 

The best part of the trip, though, turned out to be our walking tour of historic sites. We had a wonderful guide and saw so many historic sites, including the cemeteries where many of the founding fathers are buried. After teaching Colonial history and the Revolutionary War for years to 4th graders, it was so cool to see the buildings, the Boston Common, the harbor, etc. It was a long walk, but a beautiful day to be outside. My husband, who is not as invested in Colonial history as I am, also loved the tour. 

Now we have about a week at home before traveling to New Mexico for something completely different!

4 comments:

  1. I too went to Boston, first, at seventeen to see Boston College. I did not get accepted! I've followed up a few times since then and yes, the history and seafood are both AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to go back to Boston sometime. It's such an interesting city.

      Delete
  2. Walking tours are a wonderful way of seeing the place. In Berlin and in Strasbourg we enjoyed our walking tours with very good guides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to visit Berlin someday, so I will keep that in mind!

      Delete