Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Summer Reading

School is out for me, at least mostly out. There's still moving into a new classroom later this summer, meeting with my new teaching partner to talk curriculum and books, and a few other loose ends. But it is time to plunge into summer reading!

I'm off to Barnes & Noble later to use my gift card (end-of-year gift!). The books I will buy today are totally for fun -- A Discovery of Witches and Good Omens. A Discovery of Witches was described by one reviewer as Twilight for adults. I despised Twilight, but I checked it out of the library before reading that review (which was a positive review) and got almost halfway through before I had to return it to the library (waiting list, no renewals). It is a sexy vampire novel, but it takes place mostly at the Bodleian Library at Oxford, giving it an intellectual aura. I think it will be a great summer read. Good Omens is by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Gaiman is one of my two favorite authors, the other being Jane Austen, and the description looks fun. Another perfect summer read, I hope. Both of these books have been made into television shows, but I would rather read the book.

Professionally, I'm reading a book on teaching AI. My school will begin adding AI to the curriculum in the fall, and this book is required reading. I recently finished No More Math Fact Frenzy, an argument for eliminating Mad Minutes in favor of teaching that promotes a deeper understanding of math. I've also got Welcome to Writing Workshop in my pile, along with books by Jeff Anderson and Ralph Fletcher.

I hope by August I will refreshed and renewed with great ideas!

4 comments:

  1. I love the summer reading! I always have too many books checked out of the library, always too many ordered on Amazon and too many on the TBR list all together!

    Good luck! I am working on savoring my reading rather than just ticking off a list of titles which I tend to get lost in.

    https://medium.com/@tammybreitweiser/the-number-1-secret-to-being-a-better-writer-f0e97a3e242c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I would rather reread a favorite or take my time through a new book than race through a stack. I also belong to a book club, so that gets me to read books I wouldn't have read otherwise.

      Delete
  2. So fun to see your reading plans. Even though I'm retired (sort of), summer reading is still a lovely pleasure! As soon as I finish my book club read (Gutenberg's Apprentice), it's back to The House Girl (which I'm loving) for another book club, and then I can't wait to dive into Lynda Mullaly Hunt's latest title, Shouting at the Rain. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to check those books out -- my book club is always looking for books to put on the schedule.

    ReplyDelete