Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Appliance Woes

 Our dryer developed a very odd problem. I was taking clothes out of the dryer and say that a sock seemed to be stuck near the top of the dryer, at the front. I pulled and it didn't come loose. I pulled harder and finally got it off, ripped to shreds and in two pieces. Poking around, I discovered something sharp sticking out that the sock had caught on. I pulled but it didn't budge. I got big pliers out and pulled -- nothing.

So we needed a service call. Naturally our appliance repair guy had disappeared -- most likely retired -- so I turned to online reviews to find a new person.I did find a new guy (are there no women out there repairing appliances?) and he came out yesterday. 

He had told me on the phone that he had never heard a problem like mine. But, when he looked into the dryer he almost immediately knew what was wrong. He said it better than me, but basically the whole inside mechanism had given up the ghost. He took it apart to show me. It would be about $400 to fix it. I said, well, we want a new washing machine, so we can just get a dryer to go with it. Nevertheless, he looked up parts and found that several important parts are no longer made. A new dryer for sure.

So we will be shopping tomorrow at the big appliance store. Today we are going to see Oppenheimer. 


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You have proven it. Dryers do eat socks! I think you should publish your findings, make big bucks on the story and then use that money to buy a new washer and dryer. Who knows, maybe a company will even give you a new free one so that you can continue your research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to write the same comment as arjeha! When my children were in college. our 20 year old dryer stopped working and before replacing it, my husband took it apart. He found ALL those missing panty hose socks (remember them?) as well as a boat load of missing baby booties and socks. It was all nestled around the dryer drum where I guess all the missing socks go to retire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, wow. What a crazy problem. Definitely, as Bob said, a real sock-eating dryer. I'm glad you are able to get a new washer and dryer. Hope you enjoyed the movie today!

    ReplyDelete