Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Shopping Spree

 Last week I wrote about our dryer woes. This week I'm wishing we had a clothesline in the backyard.

However, my husband and I went on what turned out to be a shopping spree at Abt, the local appliance mega-store. It is mega in the sense that the store is huge, but it's a local Chicago store, not a national chain. There is only the one store. I hadn't been there in quite a while and it has grown into a mall Besides shopping for all kinds of appliances and computer-related things, the store has become a sort of mall. There's an Apple store, a candy store, a luggage store... 

So we purchased a new washer and dryer which will be delivered on Friday. If I knew that the dryer would break down, I would have washed everything in sight. However, we getting along with what clean things we have. 

While at Abt, my husband also bought a computer thing to improve wifi reception in our house. We have dead spots that go in and out. In fact, I'm writing this from an on and off dead spot. That thingy was just delivered and installed this morning. 

Then, since there is an Apple store and I had been talking for months about replacing my Fitbit with an Apple watch, we bought an Apple watch. It had to be set up and linked with my Apple phone (do you see a pattern? I'm typing this on my Apple Mac) so the friendly tech guys gave us water bottles and sent us to the atrium to wait. The atrium has a fountain, an amazing sculpture thing with balls that drop through a vertical maze, and reclining arm chairs. If I had brought a book it would have been perfect.

All in all, quite a productive shopping spree. Then we went out to dinner to celebrate and recover.


7 comments:

  1. The joys of home ownership! Glad your shopping spree went well and that you will soon have a new washer and dryer. Love that wording of your ending - "celebrate and recover" - so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I never expected to look forward to new appliances this much!

      Delete
  2. Your post reminds me of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. I think I could also write a post about what. happens when I am in stores and have to wait for something to be ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! I hadn't though about that book in years!

      Delete
  3. Your post has that "one thing leads to another and another" feel and reminds me of the joys and challenges of shopping in person. I had to replace my washer from a phone conversation at the height of the pandemic when there was nary a washer to be found. I ended up with an industrial model that will SURELY outlive me even if it only offers hot, and cold full loads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that's much worse than having to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had quite a shopping spree. Enjoy all your purchases. Hope they all do what you want them to.

    ReplyDelete