Monday, November 13, 2023

RSV Woes

 We went to visit our grandson (and son and daughter-in-law) last Wednesday. He's an adorable 16-month-old with a big smile and a mischievous glint in his eye. 

The next day our son called to tell us that the baby had RSV. Jumping ahead to Saturday morning, I woke up with a nose running like a faucet. I did not bother getting tested, I have RSV now too. It's like a bad cold - at least it is for me. I have gotten the latest shot for covid and flu but I was spacing them out in case I had a reaction - I wanted to know what I was reacting to and also to avoid double reactions - I don't know if that's a thing but I want to avoid it. So neither of us had gotten the RSV shot. 

So I moved into our daughter's bedroom - she's in Texas. I haven't been cooking and I wear disposable gloves when it seems necessary. Mostly I have a runny nose and fatigue, and the nose is letting up. 

Though I am retired I have commitments, mostly to music groups. It's not so terrible to miss a rehearsal here and there, but I have a concert coming up on Sunday. I'm missing rehearsal tonight but hopefully will be able to go to the dress rehearsal on Saturday. I'm not a regular member of this community orchestra; I'm the guest principal horn. I have parts that will be missed if I'm not there. 

I am feeling better and I think I must practice starting tomorrow. Playing a brass instrument has some things in common with athletics, in particular, if you don't play regularly you get  out of shape. I have put it off first, because I was exhausted, and then because I will have to wash the horn out after playing it. Bad stuff can hang out in the tubing - it can make you sick again. Blowing my germs into it will definitely require a prompt cleaning.

You clean it in the bathtub with a special long flexible brush. I will send a bit of listerene in as well. Years ago I read a hilarious blog post by a British horn player. He had repeated respiratory illnesses and finally realized he needed to clean his horn. The hilarious part was his reaction to what came out of the horn and then slipping on his wet floor. Fortunately he and the horn were fine, but the description of what could be hanging out in the tubing was an impetus to regular cleaning!

If you aren't up to date on your vaccines, I highly recommend getting those shots!

10 comments:

  1. It all sounds very stressful to me. I’m glad you didn’t go into detail about what came out that chap’s horn. I’m not sure I can stomach knowing. Good luck w/ recovery and practice. And good advice on those vaccines. I got the covid booster, flu, and RSV at the same time and had no problems. I still need to get the pneumonia vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your opening sentence where your son and daughter-in-law are reduced to parathesis! I'm a new grandma and it is the same with me. I visit Aden now and fukll focus is on her (not my daughter and son-in-law!) Sorry to hear you got sick. I'm not musical so enjoyed learning about what happens behind the scenes with a horn player. Rest well and good luck with your concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm feeling better each day but not pushing things.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're on the mend. Thank you for reminding us about the vaccines for these coming days of rising numbers. I'm up to date on the flu shot, but I need to look at the others to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oof, I'm sorry to hear you got hit with RSV. Sounds like you're on the mend. Hoping you get to practice soon.
    I have to get my updated Covid vaccine. I'll probably do it in the next week since I got the flu shot last weekend and didn't want to do them simultaneously.
    Like Glenda, I need to get the pneumonia vaccine. I'm waiting till late December for that one. (I delivered my son with pneumonia seven years ago. It was misery to labor with it. Given that I have asthma, I do NOT want to have pneumonia again.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pneumonia while pregnant sounds awful! I'm waiting until December for the pneumonia shot too. My husband has researched it and says timing is important with many of these vaccines.

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear you are sick. Glad things are getting better. I understand your wanting to space shots out. We are doing the same. We have had our flu and COVID but not our RSV yet. Rest and take care. Hope you make the concert. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling much better though I'm still taking it easy and not going out. I will definitely make the concert! One of the other horn players texted me that they were down two horns last night because another of us had surgery and his doctor won't let him play yet. My friend said the whole brass section was off last night and she's blaming it on me, lol.

      Delete
  6. I am in awe that you can muster the strength to clean a horn or play the horn at all, with a virus. I hope you are on the mend soon. I made the same decision as you about the vaccines, getting my flu and COVID and deferring on the RSV...you have inspired me to rethink this!

    ReplyDelete