Monday, February 26, 2024

Adventures with Cars

So, last week, on Monday evening I was driving to yet another rehearsal, this one an orchestra that asked me to fill in for an ailing horn player. I had only gone a few miles and was making a left turn from one street to another, when a car going the opposite direction crashed into mine.

I know my car moved. My foot came off the pedals. I pulled to the side of the road and looked across at the passenger side of my car. All the air bags on that side had gone off. The window was broken. The police came shortly and I loved my car (still drivable!) into a nearby parking lot. I called my husband, who arrived shortly. We stood around for awhile. People asked me repeatedly if I was okay (I couldn't tell), if I needed an ambulance (no, thank you). The very nice policewoman told me that while the accident wasn't my fault, in Illinois when a collision happens and one party was turning left, that party is said to be at fault and gets the ticket. So I have to go to court next month.

I wasn't injured, only shaken up, and literally shaking for awhile.

The car was towed away. The insurance people came several days later and declared it totaled. We will get some insurance money. 

My car was a 2013 red Honda Accord. I had wanted a red Honda and my lovely husband tracked one down for me. This time I said I wanted a Honda Accord again, any color but black (too hard to see it at night). My awesome husband took to the internet to find Honda Accords, preferably "pre-owned" as they call it now. He found several and we went to see one of them. We drove it and also a brand-new Honda Accord.

Buying a car takes forever. We were at the dealer for hours, but we came home with a slightly used gray Accord. Cars have changed a lot since 2013! It's almost like HAL or C3PO is in charge of the car. (Actually my loaner car, a Genesis, was even more bossy, reminding me verbally to check the back seat, etc.) It will take me some time to figure everything out, but it drives the same as my three previous Honda Accords. I really like Honda Accords.

So I missed my rehearsal, obviously. But we had the concert on Sunday this week and it not only went well but was quite exciting! 




9 comments:

  1. Being in an accident is so scary! I'm so glad to hear you're okay and that you've been able to replace your car. I can relate to the shock at how cars have changed over time--I went from a 2003 to a 2017 not too many years ago, and it was a mind-boggling shift. Enjoy the new ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I will enjoy the car once I get comfortable with it!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to hear you are ok. Accidents are scary for sure and the process of finding another car is also VERY scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are right -- car shopping is filled with pitfalls.

      Delete
  3. Glad that you are OK. As the others have said, accidents are scary. I definitely can relate to how cars have changed. We bought a 2023 RAV 4 last August. That car i smarter than me. I still don't know all of it features and probably never will. Glad your concert went well. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! So glad you weren’t hurt! My stepdaughter is still waiting on a check from her insurance company for a similar wreck - months ago. I hope your process is smoother than hers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all - so thankful you're okay. How awful to lose your car, though, and then to have to deal with all this fallout...I have to tell you I lost a colleague this week, a K teacher who also drove a red Honda. She was turning left when she was struck on the passenger side by a driver going at such an excessive speed that the impact flipped her car. She didn't survive. We're mourning here...so as I read your words I keep rejoicing that your story is different. Here's to good outcomes at court and the car lots!! And to endurance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, I'm so glad you are okay. What a crazy rule about left turning in Illinois. It's always your fault!? I'm glad you were able to get a new car so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, I was in a similar accident back in 2000 (in Crystal Lake) - and I got the ticket, as well - sooooo grateful you walked away! I have driven differently in intersections ever since. I can imagine how much vehicles have changed in 11 years - I hope your new Honda treats you well, and I hope other drivers are more cognizant of what's going on around them and you. Take care of any aches/pains that may pop up!!

    ReplyDelete