Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Books - reams, slews, loads

 I like books. I really enjoy reading for pleasure as well as to learn and be informed. While I do have a Kindle and I use it, there is nothing like a physical book, in my opinion. I have books from when I was a very young child, from my teen years, and especially from my adult years. 

I have lots of fiction - many, many mysteries, fantasy, historical fiction, including writers from Jane Austen to contemporary writers. I also have many books about music, including a dozen about Mozart. In addition, I have seven novels about Wolfgang's sister Nannerl. I have a sizable collection of books related to the American Revolution - since I used to teach American history from Jamestown through the Revolution I became fascinated by the people and events of that time. And I admit I also like romances, those happily ever afters.

My son inherited this love of books. Though he doesn't live with us any more, being married with a little son, his old bedroom has a tall bookcase stuffed with books. 

The issue that has sprung up related to this abundance of books is space! And really, if I'm not going to reread a book and it doesn't have sentimental value, it needs to go find a new home. And, if I've had the book awhile and still haven't read it?? 

So my book project now is to read the books I own but haven't ever read. If I read enough to know it's not for me, I'll stop, but I'll give every book a fair try. Right now I'm reading New York Burning by Jill Lepore and Double Falsehood by Vaughn Entwistle. 

The subtitle of New York Burning is Liberty, Slavery, and Conspiracy in Eighteenth-Century Manhattan. It is nonfiction, an account of an unsuccessful slave revolt in New York in 1741. It's a slow read with a lot of detail. 

Double Falsehood is a novel set both in present times and in Shakespeare's time. It's 1597, Elizabeth is queen, and Catholics are being hunted. There are mysteries and adventures and plays being written. In the 21st century the narrator is a rather innkeeper in England. It appears that he will discover a manuscript in his inn though I haven't gotten that far.

It will be interesting to see how long this project will take me to get through all the unread books.

9 comments:

  1. You and Sally are speaking the language of books today. I have a goal to clean some of mine out - - I have too many, even though it may not be a possible thing. I need to know the criteria for parting with them. I hem and haw and don't get rid of enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! One of my criteria is, do I want to reread it. But also how attached am I to it? What memories do I have? Do I want to save it for my grandchild or someone else?

      Delete
  2. Oh my! Can I relate to this. We have the same problem, yet we can’t walk into a bookstore and leave empty handed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Bookstores are wonderful. I wish there were more independent bookstores near me.

      Delete
  3. I can't part with books especially my professional ones as I always believe I'll need them at a point in my teaching. Like you I have a number of unread books, thanks for reminding me to make it a point to read some of them this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding some nice surprises in my unread books, as well as some boring writing!

      Delete
  4. I had a huge collection of personal, professional and children's books. Over the last 7 years or so, I have given away many, many books. One of my favorite things to do is to bring in a suitcase filled with books for my grad students! They are eager recipients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! I'm definitely saving all children's books for my grandson though.

      Delete
  5. I am a great collector of books as well. My shelves make it look like I'm also a great reader--and I do read a lot--but nowhere near the pace at which I acquire books. I love this project of reading what you own--at least giving the book a fair chance.

    ReplyDelete