Tuesday, June 18, 2024

The Black Sweater Saga

 A black cardigan sweater is such a useful part of a wardrobe. Black goes with everything, and you can just throw the sweater on if it's chilly. I have a lot of trouble holding on to a black sweater. I wonder if that's common?

In November 2006 I was so lucky to get to go to China on a teacher trip. We went to Beijing and met teachers and observed classes. I was especially thrilled to be able to watch a piano lesson at the Beijing Conservatory. (It's the school superstar pianist Lang Lang attended). After Beijing we visited Xi'an and saw the clay soldier army in situ, which was amazing. Last we visited the Yunan province, which is sort of like Florida as far as retirees. 

One of the items I packed for the trip was a black sweater. Flying back from China was really long (as was getting there). Changing planes in Hong Kong and then in Los Angeles to finally arrive in Chicago. Slogging through the LA airport with purse and carry-on, I dropped my black sweater. When I realized that, I walked all the way back to the TSA station, but couldn't find it. I was so tired, I didn't want to go through TSA again, so I said good-bye to that black sweater.

A few years later we were on vacation in Bellingham, Washington (which is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited). Our daughter was participating in a music festival and we came to see her and hear some concerts. We went out to dinner. It was warm and I took my new black sweater off and hung it on the chair. Well, of course, I walked off without it. Once I realized, we went back to the restaurant but it had vanished, probably to the Island of Lost Outerwear. 

Being tourists, the next day we were all browsing in the shops and I found my next sweater. It was completely different from the one I lost in LA, which was long and silky. This one was short and chunky. I loved it. I can't remember what happened to that sweater, but I don't have it anymore. 

My next sweater is long, silky and made of bamboo. I wear it often. 

There is one more sweater story though. After my mom passed away, my sister and sister-in-law were dealing with my mom's clothing. She had an entire collection of cardigan sweaters in a rainbow of colors, including black. I claimed that black sweater. It was a cable knit, with buttons. I didn't wear it as much as the silky bamboo sweater, but apparently I wore it enough to lose it. Yes, I think I left it in a restaurant in Chicago. I didn't realize it for several weeks, too late to try to find it. 

At least I have my beloved bamboo sweater.

7 comments:

  1. I wonder, do lost sweaters end up in the same place as lost socks? I wonder why a restaurant wouldn't have a lost-and-found where left behind items are stored in case the owner calls looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. arjeha wrote the above.

      Delete
    2. I agree, restaurants should have a lost and found, or at least hold on to items for a day or two. And where do those socks go?

      Delete
  2. Now I’m scanning my memory and trying to recall if I e ever lost a cardigan, regardless of color. I don’t think I have. I’m pretty good at keeping track of my stuff when traveling but do worry that will change as I age. When I took a group to China in 2019, one student lost her passport going through security, but she did realize it in time to backtrack and find it. My husband lost his key fob in Florida last month. That was a costly mistake, and he lost his phone in Munich, another costly mistake. That’s why I hold onto his passport for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Those are not good things to lose! My daughter lost her blankie when she was little -- that was awful.

      Delete
  3. This is so relatable. One, I'm always leaving behind things, including sweaters. Two, my husband and I both love to wear black everything, so even if it's not lost, we are always in search of things that we can't see because it's black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about black things being hard to find, but you're right, they are. I hope you haven't lost too many sweaters!

      Delete