Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Time Travel Choices

 My head is sort of swirling with things to write about today, but I decided to go with a prompt from the book "642 Things to Write About," the kids' edition. My prompt is:

"You have the opportunity to get into a time machine and travel back to any time. The catch is that you have to stay wherever you end up and must pick a time before you were born. What year do you pick? Describe your new life."

I'm ignoring the part about having to stay in the past. 

My parents have both passed away, my dad in 1998 and my mom most recently, in 2019. Lately I've been thinking about the things I don't know that only one or the other of my parents can answer. I do know that they met when my dad was 9 and my mom was 6, when both their families moved to the very small town of Hawley, Minnesota, near Fargo. They were both the first in their families to go to college, my mom because her mother wanted a better life for her, my dad because he wanted something different that he couldn't get without more education. 

Since both of them have left us, I find myself with questions that only one of them can answer. Sometimes I even catch myself thinking, "Oh, I'll ask mom." Then realize I can't. My mother was very into genealogy, though, and I have all of her research. I know that they each had to write an autobiography in college - I should find those and read them again. My mother was also a wonderful storyteller (though she would deny that) so I have those memories that she passed on to me.

What kind of questions do I have? Nothing life-changing. Questions about why they chose their paths in life. What was difficult, what was wonderful. 

So, no time travel for me, but maybe a dive into the documents they left behind. That is a type of time travel, after all.


4 comments:

  1. I like this idea of going back into the past to as our parents questions. There are things I would like to know now that didn't really interest me when they were both alive. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's like, your parents are just your parents. Until they aren't there anymore and you realize you should have asked more questions.

      Delete
  2. This is such a universal lament! I feel it, too. I identified with your slip, “Oh I should ask mom…” I hope you find the documents and i also hope you write down your mother’s stories that you remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great suggestion to write down all I can remember! I have written some, but I should continue to do that whenever I remember another story.

      Delete