Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Concert Time!

 Last night was a late night for me - I'm not used to staying up so late. But, the community orchestra that I play in had a concert -- a special concert in Orchestra Hall (Chicago), the home of the Chicago Symphony. 

I have played on that stage before, both with this same community orchestra (the Symphony of Oak Park and River Forest) but also decades ago with the Chicago Civic Orchestra, a training orchestra for your musicians in their 20s. The Hall has had a major renovation since I played their in the 1970s. The downstairs, where the dressing rooms and offices are located, is amazing. First of all, there is an actual women's dressing room! In the 1970s the women were put in a room not designed as a dressing room - there weren't that many women in the orchestra (or any professional orchestra!) at that time. There are also "quiet rooms," a ping pong table, showers, and lots of space! 

Leaving the downstairs and proceeding to the actual concert - we played the premiere of a symphony by one of the members of the SOPRF and parts of the Te Deum by Hector Berlioz. The Te Deum includes a large choir and children's choir. The audience was enthusiastic - it was mostly friends and relatives, but still... 

So we all finished the concert in a glow of happy accomplishment. Here is my section (I am next to the tall young man):



2 comments:

  1. It might have been a late night, but I am sure it was an exhilarating one. Sounds like the renovations were needed and long overdue. Congratulations on a good concert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this concert hall sounds like an amazing place to host your talented group. I never had the opportunity to learn an instrument, but I so wish I had done so. I am learning a few things about string instruments along with the grandchildren though. Congratulations on your late night and gift to the community

    ReplyDelete