Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Spring sunshine

It snowed here in Chicagoland last night. Not a lot, but noticeable. Now that it is April and springtime, I have started again to sit outside for 20 minutes or so in the morning. I have a sleep problem. Last summer I watched a video from my health insurance company about sleep, both its importance and how get better sleep. The bottom line was five recommendations:

1. Pick a wake-up time and stick with it.

2. Stop caffeine by 2 pm.

3. Limit alcohol 3 hours before bed and drink one glass of water for each alcoholic drink.

4. Limit exercise 4 hours before bed.

5. Get 15 minutes of sun every day, preferably in the morning.

I have no problem with numbers 2, 3, and 4. I have not tried #1 because I hesitate to give up any sleep I can get, whether it's in the morning or night. 

Number 5, 15 minutes of sun, is very pleasant. I take my coffee (well before 2 pm!) and sit in the backyard. But this is Chicago, so sitting in the sun for much of the year is just not practical. So I am delighted that April is here, snow or no snow. I had to clear ice and snow off the patio furniture and put down towels to soak up the wetness, but I sat for at least 15 minutes. I watched a squirrel find something to eat. I did the New York Times crossword. And I had peace.

2 comments:

  1. Sitting outside with a morning cup of coffee is a great way to start the day. Our back patio faces west so we get the afternoon sun there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice! Our backyard faces south and we can watch our neighbor's very large dog cavort in his backyard!

      Delete