Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Salvador Dalí

 Yesterday we took the train into Chicago and visited the Art Institute with friends. We went to see the Salvador Dalí exhibit in particular, though the Art Institute has so much wonderful art, you don't need a particular reason to visit.

The title of the exhibition is Salvador Dalí: The Image Disappears. It was a relatively small exhibit, fitting in three rooms, but with an interesting assortment of art, most of which I had not seen before. Some of the paintings were like those pictures that you can look at two ways and see different images. Like this:



There were a lot of music references, which surprised me. Richard Wagner was in one of the paintings! I can't say I saw what the notes said was happening in all of the works, or why Dalí created some of these works, but it was certainly interesting. 



6 comments:

  1. Art always leaves so much interpretation to the viewer. I am sure it was an interesting exhibit. I have never seen any of his works except in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen any in person either until this exhibit. You're right, whatever the artist intends, it's the viewer who interprets.

      Delete
  2. This exhibit looks AMAZING, Becky! I've been to the Art Institute of Chicago twice, with the second time being on my final day at NCTE in 2011. What a fabulous museum it is!

    This makes me think... it's been too long since I've been to the PMA in Philly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful museum, but the East Coast has many, many fine art museums!

      Delete
  3. Becky, that sounds like a fascinating exhibit. It's neat how when you look at the painting, one image jumps out, but seems a little odd, like the eye on the portrait in the first painting. Then when you look again you can find the other picture. Or, as you said, sometimes you can't. I must admit the two Dali double paintings here are a little creepy to me. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are often a little creepy! And I was thinking that if people object to the Michelangelo statue of David, it's a good thing they haven't seen Dalí's work.

      Delete