Monday, December 4, 2023

Happiness is a Bootleg Drum. What?

 A couple months ago I ordered the Metaphor Dice. I'm pretty sure I learned about them here, on blogging Tuesday with Two Writing Teachers. Today I finally gave them a real try.

The truth is as silent as a brand new toy. Hmm, no, unless it's an ironic metaphor.

Happiness is a bootleg drum. My husband told our children when they were young that they could play any musical instrument except percussion. And for good reasons - besides the sound of practicing, if your offspring gets serious about percussion, you will never be done buying instruments, and your home will be littered with drums, marimba, cymbals, etc. etc. I suppose a closet drummer might appreciate this metaphor.

The reluctant wonder of the past. I like it. I love history but I know that history hides many secrets. Maybe this metaphor should be the wonder of the reluctant past.

Beauty is a bright side show. Maybe it is.

Time is a rugged blessing. One of the definitions of rugged is "(of a face) wrinkled or furrowed, as by experience or the endurance of hardship." So yes, it's a blessing to have a long life filled with family, friends, experiences. But a long life also often includes physical challenges, and other adversities.

The truth threw an impossible curveball. His verbal curveball revealed an impossible truth. Definite possibilities there.

The sad trophy of my heart. There's a line for a heroine of a romance novel before she discovers that the hero is madly in love with her but is hiding that fact to keep her safe because...



7 comments:

  1. Oh, the never-ending possibilities of Metaphor Dice! I bought my first set at NCTE, and later ordered the erudite set in the small purple box to up the ante with my thinking. I love that you think in terms of a line for a heroine from a romance novel and how this sparks your thinking of plot. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize after playing with the dice that I really should use them in actual writing!

      Delete
  2. How fun AND thought provoking! I tried an art challenge where an artist provided cards and you chose three and created a work. For example; focus on textures, in a sewing project, with a worldly mood. Or layered and questioning, in metals. Your metaphors from the dice reminded me of the interesting curveball these random draws give us. They make us think in ways we never would have come up with. your piece inspires me to try out some crazy new juxtapositions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Playing with the dice has helped me relax with writing in general -- it can be fun! it doesn't need to be perfect on the first go, or the fiftieth go!

      Delete
  3. You’ve found the metaphor dice philosophical sweet spot today. I love these little dice and other poetry toys. There’s an erudite version of the dice, too. And I do like to think of truth being loud in the final analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Metaphor dice are something new to me. What great fun they could be at a writing retreat or a party. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I'm thinking of taking them with the next time I substitute teach. Not that I ignore the teacher's plans! But sometimes there's extra time.

      Delete