Thursday, March 3, 2022

A little (almost) daily yoga

 A few months ago my husband said, "Why do you do yoga?" I answered, "I makes me feel good."

It does make me feel good in a way that other exercise doesn't. I started going to yoga classes years ago and continued very sporadically at different studios with a variety of teaching styles. Then I injured my spine, or I should say, my spine decided to pop a disk. Friends said, "what were you doing?" as if to determine the cause. What was I doing? Stepping out of the shower. 

It was a long journey back. I was relieved to be able to do most things again, but I can no longer run, jump, or twist my spine without bringing on a painful attack. So now I walk and I do the parts of yoga that I can. 

It's hard to explain what my half hour of yoga does. I bend, stretch, stand on one foot, and bring my feet up in the air. I try to extend myself a little each day. I end with shavasana, lying still with a quiet mind. 

I get up, refreshed, ready to meet the day.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! Recently I started using the Down Dog app (Free for teachers and students)! I've been doing 15 minutes of restorative yoga before bed. It feels so good. So relaxing. My favorite line from your writing: "I try to extend myself a little each day." Golden line. Me too. Thanks for an inspiring slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to check out the Down Dog app.

      Delete
  2. Of all the exercises yoga seems to work best for me. Besides I think this is something I can also do when I am 90. I hope you keep healing and yoga helps along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our bodies tell us what they are capable of if we just listen. Doing any kind of exercise that causes pain is not helping us in any way.

    ReplyDelete