Monday, March 21, 2022

Reading labels

 My husband is a fervent label reader. Actually, he is also a passionate researcher - about almost anything. So when I shop for things for him to eat, this is what happens:

Texting him: "How about this [fill in the blank - spaghetti, mashed potatoes, cupcake, etc.]? 

"Sounds good. Get that."

Later at home. "Did you see how bad this [fill in the blank] is? The [sodium/cholesterol/fat] is [90 zillion] percent of your daily recommended amount! Don't ever get this again!"

I'm glad he is health conscious. But he doesn't really like any of the prepared food that is "better" for you. He does love fruits and veggies, but you need a main course, too. Sometimes he shops for himself, but often ends up with things he doesn't like. 

I have started taking photos of the nutrition information on packages and sending it to him while I'm shopping. It helps. For example, I did not buy the tiramisu ice cream, as delicious as it looked. And we do often have dinner leftovers that work well for lunch (and don't have labels!). 

Not a serious problem in my life by any means, but it does pop up frequently.


2 comments:

  1. I wish understood more about labels! Now I'm imagining that I buy the worst things unknowingly... lol

    ReplyDelete