Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Planning and Planners

 I got a planner a few months ago. A beautiful planner with the theme of a hero's journey. It asks you (me) to decide on a "quest," your big goal. I retired in June from teaching and was feeling somewhat adrift since some of the things I had planned to do in retirement were not possible at the moment because of covid restrictions. So my Quest was/is to create an awesome retirement. 

The elements that would help me reach my goal included regular exercise (yoga and walking), practicing my French horn so I could play in my groups once they were going again, and writing regularly. Each day you are asked to restate your quest, list things to "seize the day," what you are grateful for and what threats you see, and your allies. Each page has delightful illustrations that you can color in.

I like the planner, but am having trouble making myself use it. It seems like every day is pretty much the same, so why keep filling out the pages? This is not a good or helpful attitude, I know. Though I could keep track of goals in my head, I know that writing them done makes it more likely that I will actually do something about them. 

I have lots of pages left and I still want to reach my goal. 

4 comments:

  1. I hope that you are able to find make your retirement everything you hoped form. I imagine that it's quite an adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it's been challenging with Covid, but I'm also happy to not be dealing with all the accommodations for covid that we had in my last year.

      Delete
  2. I have never had a planner, so I do not have any advice. However, I do use a notebook and find little things like slices that I record. I also keep quotes, lines from books, and write poetry. I hope you find more ways to use your planner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might do better with something unstructured, like your notebook. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete