Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Menu planning

 My husband and I recently had dinner at the new home of friends. She had emailed us about what she might make, suggesting either eggplant parmesan or chili. I wrote back, my email began: "We are really looking forward to our outing with you! And now I will apologize for how difficult we are to feed."

It's true. I am a lactose intolerant pescatarian - I eat seafood and plants, but almost all milk products give me a terrible stomach ache. My husband cannot eat any hot spices -- jalapeno, serrano, cayenne - doesn't matter where they are on the Scoville scale, mild to hot. Also cumin, and anything else that causes that burning sensation in one's mouth. It's not a taste preference; we have ended up in the emergency room on several occasions. 

Our friend made a delicious salmon dinner for us.

Back at our house, I do weekly menu planning in order to buy groceries and not have to wrack my brain every day deciding what to make for dinner. But I have the same issues of having to avoid dairy and hot spice AND all of our individual likes and dislikes, plus avoiding too much repetition. Thinking back, when I was growing up I believe my mother had an informal rotation of meals that she made. I have lists of recipes that have worked AND we both liked. But somehow it grows a little boring. And I do try new recipes regularly, but there's always the lurking danger of a terrible dinner. Also, I don't want to spend hours cooking EVERY day. 

"Why don't you just ask your husband what he'd like for dinner?" you ask. Because he says, "I don't know. Give me some choices." 

I really do like to cook. 


3 comments:

  1. I don't have the health concerns that you do, but I still hate trying to figure out dinner every day. We tried a rotation for a while, but got bored with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming up with different and non-boring meals is something many of us face. I have no food allergies, but I am a picky eater. We like to try new things. We look at the ingredients and if they are things we like we figure the meal will be tasty. I know, not the best way to plan a meal. We've had disasters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone has disasters now and then. It looks like it will be good on paper and then...

      Delete