Thursday, March 10, 2022

Addictive Book Series

 I love to read, I have since I was in grade school. Usually I have at least two books going. And I like actual physical books. I have a Kindle and it's fine, but usually I opt for the physical version.

I've been reading even more during the pandemic, partly because I retired during it and staying home is the thing to do most of the time. 

A few years ago I read an article in the New York Times about Deborah Harkness, author of the trilogy World of All Souls. I was intrigued because she is a historian and uses her background in the books. I started reading and soon was hooked. I read them all more than once. I was very fond of the characters and loved the story.

A few months ago I decided to give the Outlander series a try. I had read the first book or two years ago. It didn't really grab me at that time, but this time I was quickly hooked. I have read the entire series as it exists now (there's one more book to come!) and reread parts of it. There are also related books about some of the minor characters. I'm working through them now. I have become very fond of the characters in this series, too. I have to say, though, if anyone's life was as fraught with danger as Jamie's and Clare's -- I don't even know how to finish that sentence. 

Besides liking the characters, I love the history in these books. And there's a lot of it. When I taught, history was one of my favorite subjects. I loved learning more about the American Revolution, for example, even if I couldn't use all the information in my teaching. And there's romance too! 

Eventually I will have to find another series or at least more books. But for now I spend some quality time with these fictional folks.

P.S. I don't watch the mini-series. It's all on the page and in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment