Wednesday, March 16, 2022

The Eyes Have It

 Back in late December-early January I had cataract surgery. Modern cataract surgery is amazing -- there are choices! And compromises. I chose to correct my distance vision, which is, after surgery, 20/20 or better. However, I now have to wear glasses for reading and close work. 

I have worn glasses since I was 9 years old and in the 4th grade. (My mother always said I would ruin my eyes by reading in the semi-darkness.) It has taken some time to adjust to not reaching for the glasses first thing in the morning. 

Another adjustment has been the reading glasses. They work great for reading, but remembering where they are and to take them with me when I go out -- that's the challenge. I now see why people wear them on a chain around their neck. And why people own multiple pairs of reading glasses. I have two already, but that's partly because the first pair broke a little. I can still wear them but they don't fit perfectly now.

In spite of my complaints about reading glasses, I am amazed and grateful for the cataract surgery. Driving at night is so much less stressful and knowing that I will continue to have good vision is a blessing.





No comments:

Post a Comment