Monday, March 6, 2023

Cruising the Caribbean

 My husband and I had never been on a cruise, unless you count a two hour cruise on Lake Michigan. But our son and daughter-in-law had been on a cruise shortly before they got married and were enthusiastic about going again. My daughter-in-law's parents, sister, and brother-in-law were also going on the same cruise. Also our 6-month-old grandson! So we decided to take the plunge and join them.

It was a Carnival cruise, the ship was the Horizon - I learned that the particular ship matters as some are different sizes. We got a nice cabin in the center of the ship (less bouncing in the waves) and with a balcony. 

Well, we had a lovely time. We loved sitting on the balcony watching the waves, the islands we passed by, the sunsets. Sometimes other people were also on their balconies, and we gave friendly waves back and forth. My husband states that the balcony was the best part of the trip - I don't disagree.

What else? We swam with dolphins on Grand Cayman. We were going to try paddle boarding and snorkeling on Cozumel, but with high wind and waves that day we were switched to a beach day - we both have bad backs. We babysat our grandson one morning so his parents could have an excursion day, which was also a lot of fun. 

Would I do it again? Probably. The kids are already signing up for their next cruise in two years. It's a nice way to spend some time with family without all the aspects of daily life. But we both also want to have some other adventures and are discussing a trip to Europe in the near future!

3 comments:

  1. I've never been on a cruise, but hope to do an Alaskan cruise with daughter and her husband. It sounds fun to be with family without the stress of preparing meals and planning activities. Where do you think you'll go in Europe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have considered myself a cruise person, but I totally agree. I especially loved last year when I went on a cruise with my extended family it was really fun. This makes me look forward to future cruises so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely. I know many people who have been on a cruise and just loved it. I am not sure I would. I wouldn't like being out in the middle of nowhere and seeing nothing but water all around me. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete