Friday, March 24, 2023

What we've been watching (on TV)

 On TV, incase you thought we might be spying on our neighbors. 

After reading another post today with show recommendations, I thought I'd chime in. (Thank you to Ryan Barba: https://birdsbaseballbarba.wordpress.com/2023/03/24/day-24-good-content/)

My husband and I have been watching Korean television show lately. We started with Crash Landing on You, recommended by my brother, a big film buff. (He has gotten to go to the Sundance film festival as a reviewer!) We loved this show. It's about a South Korean business woman who accidentally ends up in North Korea, rescued by a handsome army officer. Many complications ensue, in both Koreas.

Next we watched Extraordinary Attorney Woo, about an autistic woman who is an amazing attorney, but who struggles with people skills. this was also recommended by my brother.

Then we found Kim's Convenience, a Canadian sitcom about a Korean family who own a convenience store. Lots of interesting characters and many unlikely situations, it's very entertaining.

My husband and I both found that we enjoy the shows no matter what, but we prefer hearing them with the original Korean dialogue and reading the subtitles. I should note that we turn on subtitles for all the shows we watch no matter what language they're in.

Anyone care share recommendations? 

6 comments:

  1. It is interesting watching shows from other countries. Although, I speak just from my limited experience of watching BBC on our public broadcasting channel. The humor is different as well as many of the story lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the British shows, too! The last one we watched was Last Tango in Halifax. Interesting show.

      Delete
  2. We use subtitles for everything too! So much easier for us to read and listen. Sounds like you've found some great enterainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have. ANd subtitles are great, even for shows in English.

      Delete
  3. The shows sound intriguing and entertaining - and educational, with watching them in the original language. Over time, you pick up bits of it - have you noticed certain Korean words you now recognize?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love listening to Korean. Like Chinese, it's a tonal language. But I haven't picked anything up except Mom (Uma) and Dad (Appa)!

      Delete