Sunday, March 12, 2023

Favorite Teachers

 I see several slicers posting about favorite teachers. That got me thinking about my own favorite teachers and why they are favorites.

Music was always very important to me, and I majored in music in college, so most of my favorite teachers were music teachers. Today I am thinking of Mr. Princiotti.

Salvatore Princiotti was the string teacher at my high school in Connecticut. I didn't play a string instrument, I am a brass player, but he heard about me from the band/orchestra teacher at the high school (also a favorite teacher!). Mr. Princiotti was also the director of a local youth orchestra that included kids from several towns. He asked me to join this orchestra. I was a sophomore and had been playing (French) horn for about a year and a half, having switched from trumpet. 

I played in his orchestra for three years, until I left for college. While a member, I saw first-hand what kind of teacher he was -- encouraging, kind, seeing each player as an individual and appreciating each student's uniqueness and gifts.

Mr. Princiotti gave me my first opportunity to play a solo with an orchestra. (Actually my only time soloing until a few years ago when my daughter and I played a two-horn concerto with a local band.) 

But mostly I remember him for his unflagging patience and kindness toward all his students, no matter their level of music talent. When I nominated some years ago for a Golden Apple award, I had to write an essay about a teacher who impacted my life. I chose Mr. Princiotti to write about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment