Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Disney movies and my children

 When my children were little Disney movies were a noticeable part of our lives. We went to an actual movie theater to see The Lion King, Pocahontas, and probably some other Disney flics. We also watched many Disney movies at home on our VCR (remember those?)

Until my daughter Jamie (the younger sibling) was about 5 years old, she say in my lap at the movie theater. This was not something we decided on or discussed, she just always plopped down in my lap. She's very tall - as an adult she is about 5'10" - and even as a preschooler she was always the tallest in her class. So when she say in my lap her head leaned on my chin and her hair was in my mouth. It was not the most comfortable way to watch a movie.

One thing about many Disney movies is that parents seem to die. A lot. So there many tears from both my daughter and son - when Mufasa was killed, when Bambi's mother didn't come back, two sobbing children, one on each arm in the movie theater. Also when John Smith sailed back to England. 

On the other hand, The Little Mermaid terrified my son when he was 4 or 5. First it was Ariel's father destroying her treasures in a rage. Once we got past that part, it was Ursula. 

Then one day we went to the the movie theater and Jamie sat down in the seat next to me. Ever after that, she say in her own seat. I found, all the inconveniences aside, I missed it.

2 comments:

  1. Such memories...of the long - hair in the mouth - days and the very short years. I too find that TOO many parents die in MOST Disney movies...we need some happy movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does go by so quickly! My children are 32 and 35 now and they are amazed when I tell them stories of when they were very young. I remember, they don't.

      Delete