Monday, March 20, 2023

History Fair Judging

 A former colleague, still a friend, asked me to be a judge at our school's history fair last month. I had been a judge many years ago at a science fair in Chicago, but never for a history fair. I thought it would be an interesting experience and said yes.

It was an interesting experience. The students have a choice of how to present their projects: papers, documentaries, live performance, or website. The these this was "Crossing a frontier." My friend asked if I would be a paper judge. The four papers that my partner and I were assigned were on a variety of topics: the Boston Tea Party, Amazon (the company), the founding of Jamestown, and the Roman army. We had read the papers in advance and then met the students individually to discuss and give feedback. 

I know quite a lot about the Boston Tea Party and the history of Jamestown so I was prepared with relevant comments and questions. The other two topics I felt less prepared for, but learned as we went along with the meetings. My partner was very well-prepared and we complimented each other well, as she is a math teacher and didn't know American history as well as I do. 

Three of the four students attentively listened to our comments (perhaps with slightly stunned expressions at times - my partner talked fast!). The fourth student, who had researched Amazon - an interesting choice, but definitely involving frontier crossing - was inclined to try negotiation and justification in response to our observations. I had met him before while subbing in middle school and so was not surprised.

I need to contact my friend in charge of the history fair to see who advanced to State. Whether or not they advance, it's clear that everyone learned a lot from the experience. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting thing to do. Great that you and your partner complimented each other. I guess there is always one who. will try to negotiate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about right! And yes, it was intersting. I'd do it again.

      Delete