Sunday, March 26, 2023

Memories of Chinese food and special people

 I came to Chicago in 1975 to study with the principal (French) horn player of the Chicago Symphony. He was the best of the best and I was so lucky to study with him for three years. Though my life (and my choices) ended up taking me away from earning my living playing my horn, a twist of fate brought me back into my teacher's orbit.

My daughter chose the horn in 5th grade and developed into a talented player. As a high school student she joined a youth symphony that the son of my former teacher was also a member of. And he was also a horn player. They became friends and coincidentally chose the same university to attend. And they began dating.

Where does Chinese food come into this Slice, you are asking. On a break from college, our daughter invited us along on a trip to Chinatown to eat lunch with her boyfriend and his parents (and maybe a few other people - another student or friend). So we went. We ate excellent Chinese food (if you are in the Chicago area and want to try it, it's Lao Szechuan. They have several locations now). We had a great conversation. (And we got a ticket because we were unfamiliar with the new meter system - of well.) And we still eat at Lao Szechuan when we have a chance.

That was how we reconnected. We were fortunate to spend time with all of them - the boyfriend and his parents - special people, all of them.

My teacher and his wife have sadly both passed away. And our daughter and their son eventually broke up. But I cherish the memories.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was amazing and it was wonderful to reconnect with my teacher and get to know his wife. I still miss them, but the memories are wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I love this story of connection that goes beyond our children and respects that great food will always be a connection to should hold tight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! Food is part of so many memories.

      Delete