Sunday, March 5, 2023

NaNoWriMo

 NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month, which takes place every year in November. The challenge is to write a 50,000 word first draft of a novel. My sister did this some years ago, writing a novel based in Scandinavian legends. I have not read it because she didn't share it with me -- I should ask. 

I also have a friend who successfully wrote a fantasy novel during NaNoWritMo a few years ago. I did read this one because he asked friends if they would be willing to read his draft and give him feedback. It was a very interesting experience. I liked a lot of things about his story and characters. He took the feedback he got and really rewrote most of the story. He asked me to read it again -- wow! He took readers' feedback and transformed an interesting story into an engaging novel with characters that were alive. 

So, two years ago I signed up for NaNoWriMo. I had an idea for a story. The NaNoWriMo site has lots of resources to help writers from planning tools to groups and forums one can join. It's a very upbeat and nurturing organization.

So I began my novel on November 1. This is what I learned that month: 

  • Novels are very long and need lots of plot and character development.
  • I need to work on descriptions -- places, people, music (a major part of my plot).
  • Because my story takes place in the past and mostly in Europe, I need to do research about life in the late 18th century. It would be so helpful if I knew German, but I don't.
  • Writing 50,000 words in a month, or 1,667 words a day is a challenge. You are not supposed to stop and edit your work either. 

So I have let my novel marinate for some months, though I think about it from time to time. I still like my basic idea and I have modest goals for this novel-in-waiting. NaNoWriMo has "camps" in April and July where you set your own goal for writing. I think I will give that a try. And then tackle the November challenge.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is something I never tried nor would I. I know my limitations. I have a friend who quit teaching to become an author and he has written and published many books since then. Good luck with you novel-in-waiting.

    ReplyDelete