Wednesday, March 8, 2023

The Substitute

 I am subbing at my old school today. I retired in June 2021 after 20+ years teaching kindergarten and 4th grade. Now I sub occasionally, only at this school. Today I am doing middle school language arts/social studies.

Middle  schoolers are incredibly social! The first period sub plans say "they are not to be too talkative and should be on task." From my perspective they are very talkative, but they are on task and very passionate about the assignment, which involves setting up a mock United Nations with the goal of preventing World War I. Though they are verging on loud, they are all engaged and interacting positively. This reminds me why I love this school!

Later today 6th grade will be making predictions and then reading chapters in a novel titled Outrun the Moon, and 7th grade will read and discuss Act IV of The Comedy of Errors. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, middle school subbing is my sweet spot. This school sounds awesome: PROJECT-BASED for relevance and JOY! No wonder you choose this school as the place to share your teaching gifts. Enjoy today. (Constructive noise makes me happy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having taught sixth grade Language Arts for many years, I just love this age group. They are talkative, their lives are full of drama, but they are enthusiastic workers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's another retired middle school teacher dropping by. There's nothing I love better than the buzz of a room full of 6th graders on task. Your day sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete