Thursday, March 28, 2024

A fanciful conversation

 My prompt today: "Two of your favorite characters from two different books meet. Write a conversation between them. How do they appear and what are they talking about?"

I'm going to choose interesting characters that will have an entertaining conversation (I hope), not necessarily my most favorite characters. 

Lord Peter Whimsey: "Hallo, hallo, hallo, what's all this then?"

Winnie-the-Pooh: "Oh, hello. This  is the Hundred Acre Wood. Would you like some honey?"

Lord Peter: "Err, no. Thank you. [looking around] I have no idea how I came here."

Pooh: "Do you know Christopher Robin?" 

Lord Peter: "Err, no. Should I?"

Pooh: "He is my boy. He is the one who knows the way out of the Hundred Acre Wood. Where did you come from?"

Lord Peter: "I was at my home, playing Bach on my piano. There was a knock on the door, so I got up to answer it. Everything went foggy and here I am. I would like to return to my home."

Pooh: "Ah. The Hundred Acre Wood is a magical place. You should have noticed that you're talking to a bear."

Lord Peter: "Well, yes. That is rather odd. Perhaps it was something I ate. Or drank."

Pooh: "Now you're thinking of Alice. That's a different story altogether."

Lord Peter: "Since I am a detective, I should be able to solve this mystery! Where would I be able to find this Christopher Robin?"

Pooh: "He comes and goes. He is in two worlds, but he knows the way between them. Would you like some honey while we wait for him?"

Lord Peter: "That is very kind of you, but no. You don't happen to have tea, do you?"

Pooh: "No, I don't believe I do."

Silence falls. 

As this conversation progressed, it became obvious that these two particular characters have nothing in common. They might as well be waiting for Godot along with Vladimir and Estragon. We will leave them in the Hundred Acre Wood and hope that Christopher Robin comes soon. 



3 comments:

  1. I love this idea and this conversation. Truthfully, I would like to hear more. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I love their distinctive voices, as well as your ending with its reference to Waiting for Godot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautifully written - very interesting.

    ReplyDelete