Thursday, March 7, 2024

Tooth Fairy Tales

 When I was a child, the tooth fairy would come silently in the night and leave a quarter, taking the tooth. A simple transaction. When my own children began losing their baby teeth, the tooth fairy started visiting our house. My daughter had a lot of questions about the tooth fairy, so I suggested she write the tooth fairy a letter and leave it under her pillow with the tooth.

"Dear toth fary

where do you Live. 

What is your addres

Love

Jamie"

The tooth fairy did answer. I don't remember what she said (Jamie kept the letter. Who knows what happened to it.) A later letter to the fairy (she had asked the fairy's name):

"Dear Evangeline,

What forest? What do you do with my teeth

Love

Jamie"

Evangeline must have told Jamie she lived in a forest, maybe an enchanted forest. Meanwhile, my son, Ben, who is three years older than Jamie, decided to write to his tooth fairy. He found out her name was Esmerelda. He must have thought this fairy was too girly because he complained. So Esmerelda passed him off to Edgar, another tooth fairy. Edgar was all, "Dude, where's the tooth?" Which rather shocked Ben, who expressed a wish that the girly fairy would come back.

The tooth fairy correspondence had a rather short run, as eventually all the teeth that are going to fall out, have fallen out. I kept the kids' letters, but they kept most of the letters from the fairies.

It was great fun. I'll have to ask Ben and Jamie if they remember the tooth fairies' letters.

10 comments:

  1. Fascinating. I like how the tooth fairies in your house took the time to connect with your kids. When I was little tooth fairies did not visit Estonia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we have so many tooth fairy stories! I wonder what they remember...but ours never wrote letters; they just set traps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your voice in this slice.My oldest is 5 and I'm glad you shared this good idea to start correspondence with the tooth fairy, or fairies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun, I'm sure you and your children will love it.

      Delete
  4. Oh, the joy of teeth collections! I used to put my children's in a box with their name on it, and recently I gave them back all their teeth. I'm not sure whether they wanted them or not, but they were theirs to begin with, so their tooth fairy only paid interest on the tooth loans. She returned the collateral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting to hear how different parents used the tooth fairy idea.

      Delete
  5. I love the written interaction between your children and their individual tooth fairy. Your son's story had me laughing. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny that your son wanted to swap his tooth fairy back to the original. There were no tooth fairies in our house, I'm not sure if our children are deprived or scarred?!

    ReplyDelete