Monday, March 11, 2024

A Last Visit to my Dentist

 I went for my last six-month visit/teeth cleaning with my dentist this morning. He is retiring. I have been going to him for over 30 years. He lives near us. Our sons were on the same park district soccer team in elementary school. We see him at High Holidays at our synagogue.

Our relationship is not friendship, but it's more than doctor-patient. I'm happy for him that he gets to do retirement things (like I am already doing)--traveling, visiting children and grandchildren. When he said good-bye to me he seemed, not sad, but possibly a little wistful. I imagine he is having these patient good-byes multiple times every day. 

When I retired from teaching three years ago, there were many things I was looking forward to. Traveling, sleeping late, no more parent-teacher conferences. But also many things I knew I would miss - working with my teaching partner, seeing my teacher friends, planning new lessons, outdoor ed. And teaching! I loved teaching social studies, math, writing, reading. I go back to sub, but it's not the same.

I'm not sorry to be retired. And I'm sure my dentist will also enjoy his retirement. But there are things you lose when your life changes that much.

6 comments:

  1. It is sad to lose someone you have been going to professionally for 30 years. He knows you and you know him. It is a job trying to find a replacement. I know when our dentist retired, I called a new place to get an appointment for a cleaning and it took over a year until they had an opening. The office id 5 minutes from our house so I just waited. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dentist, after being solo for decades, joined a father-son practice. So I already have an appointment in six months with one of them.

      Delete
  2. It is a bittersweet period, retirement. You speak total truth when you own that substitute teaching is "not the same." I loved reading this. The word "wistful" was a perfect choice to describe his voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am getting more into retirement as time goes on. And my husband really wants to travel, so we have some trips lined up.

      Delete
  3. Retirement is a bittersweet time! I like the way you captured this exchange. You bring your own experiences to bear on this tender time in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a huge change to retire. It's good to have some kind of plan!

      Delete