Monday, March 25, 2024

Music, Noise, and Hearing

 I have been playing in bands and orchestras since junior high school. Along the way I have often sat behind the trumpet section, or next to the percussion section. I have been exposed to a lot of high volume sound. So no surprise, I now have hearing aids, though my ENT calls it a minor hearing loss.

Nowadays there is greater awareness of the importance of protecting one's hearing. There are plugs to put in your ears that take the volume down. Some music groups use plexiglass shields placed between the percussion and the musicians in front of them, or between the trumpets and the players in front of them.

I have never been to a rock concert, so I can't make comparisons, but I would guess that those musicians also have hearing issues if they perform for long enough. And probably the audience members as well.

The problem with using the noise protection ear plugs is that then you can't hear people speaking. This is a problem in rehearsals where the conductor expects that you will hear what he says and then do that, whatever it is. 

If I could go back in time, would I do anything differently? I would probably use ear protection in at least some concerts, but not rehearsals. Would it save my hearing? Probably not. I am fortunate that modern hearing aids are really good. My hearing aids are connected to my iPhone, so I can adjust the volume and setting using the phone. They have different settings for normal environments (whatever that means!) and loud environments, not only to help protect your ears but to help you hear better in, say, a noisy restaurant. Many hearing aids now are rechargeable, so no tiny batteries!

I remember my father-in-law's much larger, clumsy hearing aids, and feel grateful for modern technology. 

I'm also grateful for all the music I've gotten to play and hear over many years. No regrets.

4 comments:

  1. It is something that hearing aids can no be controlled by your phone. Kathy's are like that also. With the loud concerts and people walking around with ear buds, I think the hearing problems are only going to get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There I go forgetting my name. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting about this specifically. I'm nearing the end of my career teaching elementary PE which features lots of loud music in addition to a fair amount of screaming, cheering, etc. on a daily basis. Your post reminds me to have it checked out sooner rather than later. I appreciate that you have no regrets! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about the noise level in the gym, but yes, I can get very loud!

      Delete