Sunday, March 3, 2024

The learning curve of a new car

 My lovely 2014 Honda Accord was totaled a couple weeks ago. I was not injured but the car was a mess. I wrote about that earlier, on February 26. 

We found a slightly used (or "pre-owned" as they say now) Honda Accord at a Honda dealer and went to see it. After many, many hours in the dealership we became the new owners of this car, a gray 2022 Accord. It's lovely, definitely a step up from my previous Honda. But it's also much, much higher tech. It's a bit like having a benevolent HAL in the inner workings.

It tells me to check the back seat when I park. It tells me when it thinks I'm drifting into another lane. I think I'll find that there are more helpful comments as I continue to drive the car.

As far as driving, my son was in a much worse accident about five years ago. His car was totaled, but more important, he was seriously injured. He told me that he still has flashbacks to the accident sometimes when driving. I was nervous to drive again, but I am okay with it. Maybe a little more cautious than before.

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you had a horrible car accident and hope that you feel safe and strong about returning to the driver's seat very soon. I loved your wording here, "It's a bit like having a benevolent HAL in the inner workings" - I know that more recent cars do a lot of the thinking for us. I hope it is helpful, these reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally am with you on these smart cars. Mine tells me to check the back seat as well. Mine remembers places I have driven to more than once and offers driving directions to them. I swear the car is smarter than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add my name above..arjeha.

      Delete
  3. My beloved trusty Honda is a 2016, and getting up there in miles. I am sure I am going to be shocked when I see what cars are like now. I still think the reverse parking screen is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few really good features of the new cars - it's just a matter of getting used to them. You're right about the reverse parking screen!

      Delete