Monday, March 4, 2024

The Joy of Re-Reading

 I believe that favorite books are designed for re-reading. As many times as you want. My husband chuckles at this and occasionally asks me how many times I've read such-and-such book. Rereading is sometimes like visiting with favorite friends. Sometimes its because I've forgotten large chunks of the story (or information if it's nonfiction). Sometimes it's the comfort of the familiar.

I have a friend from childhood who as a teenager went to see the movie "To Sir With Love," multiple times. I don't even know how many times, but it was more than a few. In those days once you had bought your movie ticket you could stay in the theater as long as you wanted, so it was easy to watch more than once. (And there was ONE screen in ONE theater, so only one movie at time was showing.) I brought this up over the dinner table with my family one night. My father's response was, "She is in a rut." My mother relied, "But it's such an interesting rut."

So what do I reread? Favorite series including Laurie R. King novels, Diana Gabaldon novels, Jane Austen novels, Deborah Crombie mysteries, Dorothy Sayers, Josephine Tey, Jacqueline Winspear, Ben Aaronovitch... I also read books I have not read before! 

I also read books that are completely new to me. My daughter recommended "The 7-1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle." It is a very intriguing, complicated story. I will probably have to reread that to get all the ins and outs of the plot and characters straight.

Whatever you read, I wish you happy hours of reading!


7 comments:

  1. There is nothing wrong with rereading a book. I have done it though I hesitate to say that the one book I reread several times was Dracula. I did read The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. Not sure I completely understood it, but it certainly was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that was me above. arjeha

      Delete
    2. About Evelyn Hardcastle -- I know! It was so confusing! My daughter loved it, so I feel like I need to reread it.

      Delete
  2. I love your parents' contrasting opinions on your friend seeing the same movie multiple times - "My father's response was, "She is in a rut." My mother relied, "But it's such an interesting rut." Mom sounds like a writer! My favorite book to reread is Anna Karenina; I read it in college and fell hard for it. I always find something new in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents loved each other very much, but they often had different takes on things!

      Delete
  3. Rereading is a great way to visit with an old friend. And when I reread, I always find something new. Different phases of life bring different insights. You described this fun experience very well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to slice about rereading now! Thank you for the idea! Your dad's perspective on repeat viewings as a rut is such an interesting one. I do see what he means, but for me it's definitely more like fireflytrails says: a way to visit an old friend!

    ReplyDelete