Thursday, March 14, 2024

A question I hate to be asked

 Well, really, I'm going to share a question I hated to be asked as a high school senior.

The summer after I graduated high school my family went to western Minnesota, where both my parents were from, to visit relatives. A LOT of relatives. I had been accepted to a wonderful music college and my father was VERY proud of me. I was an awkward teenager and very shy. Also somewhat snarky, but I generally kept that to myself and my interior dialogue.

So, every time we met yet another relative, my father would announce that I was going to this wonderful music school. And every single time the response was, "Oh, you like music?"

I was polite and just nodded or said yes, but inside I was thinking, "I'm going to a music conservatory! Of course I like music! Why are you even asking?!"

Being much older now, I look back on this with more kindness. My father was really proud of my achievement, and maybe somewhat relieved since I had been a very mediocre student except for music. These relatives didn't know me at all, really. We didn't live near any of them and half the time I had no idea who they were. They were trying to be kind. In fact, they were kind. 

Well, you grow up and your perspective changes.

5 comments:

  1. "I was an awkward teenager and very shy. Also somewhat snarky, but I generally kept that to myself and my interior dialogue." Ha! I can relate. It's always a good thing when our perspective softens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda @ wherewerv.Wordpress.comMarch 14, 2024 at 12:54 PM

    I love the description of you as a teenager, too. I was much the same. One of my biggest complaints about myself (when I was a teen) was how often I thought of good responses minutes or hours (sometimes days) after the conversation. Now I find when I can think of a quick response, I should probably keep it in my head. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess when people don't know what to say they come up with an inane question. You handled it very well. My mind is racing with inappropriate ways you could have answered that question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that was me above. arjeha

      Delete