Saturday, March 9, 2024

Book Spine Poetry

 I am inspired by several other bloggers who posted book spine poems yesterday. 

Here's my first:



Ignore Everybody

In the Land of Invented Languages

The Well of Lost Plots

Lies Sleeping

In the Mind's Eye


[Very mysterious, I think. I couldn't decide whether to punctuate after after the line or the first two lines]



Through the door

The slippery slope

Where memories lie.

A quartet in autumn;

A devil to play.


I tried briefly to see if I could make a poem with the spines of children's books. The ones we have don't seem to lend themselves to poetry however.



6 comments:

  1. I am glad you tried these. You came up with two great poems. I particularly like the slippery slope of memories that waits just beyond the door. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do enjoy these book spine poems, both writing and reading.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love both of these poems. They are provocative and leave the reading imagining the underlying subtext. I especially love "A Devil to Play" in the second poem and the opening line "Ignore Everybody" in the first poem. I love spine poetry, but I haven't written many. I'm feeling inspired right now to write one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find choosing the titles and arranging them into poems to be a lot of fun.

      Delete
  3. I like both is these book spine poems so much. The first could describe the world we live in, with all the “invented languages “ of conspiracies and falsehoods - we are all lost in a well. So fun to create poetry this way! Well done.

    ReplyDelete