Sunday, March 17, 2024

Happy St. Patrick's Day

 It's St. Patrick's Day. I'm not Irish, but you can't ignore St. Patrick's Day in Chicago. We were in the Loop last night to go to a concert. (The Loop is the downtown area of Chicago. The El train makes a loop around the area, hence the name.) There was a lot of green being worn and a lot of happy people. 

We ate in a restaurant on Michigan Avenue, a major street in the downtown area, right across from Millennium Park. The park is always full of people; it's where the "Bean," a silvery metal sculpture shaped like a kidney bean, is. Last night the park was full of happy, noisy people wearing green, as was the sidewalk on Michigan Avenue. 

Part of the Chicago River gets dyed green for St. Pat's. We didn't see it this year, but I have seen it other years. It's very green. There is green beer available, too. 

I did 23andMe some years ago. I am basically 100% Scandinavian, but 23andMe continually does something with the DNA and sometimes comes up with different results. For a brief time some years ago, I was a little bit Irish. Now I'm not. Oh well.

Do other cities and towns celebrate St. Patrick's Day so exuberantly?

3 comments:

  1. Everyone is Irish today. I don't have an ounce of Irish blood in me, but my wife is an Elliott whose grandmother was a McGeehan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butg everyone is Irish on St. Pat's day, at least here in Chicago.

      Delete
  2. I keep forgetting to add my name. The above was from arjeha.

    ReplyDelete