Saturday, March 2, 2024

Introduction, a day late

 Yesterday (March 1) I saw that quite a few people used their first posts to introduce themselves, so I thought I would do that today.

I'm not sure how many years I've done this challenge. There were some years I decided not to try for various reasons. I'm glad to be back though.

I'm a retired teacher - 6 years in kindergarten followed by 16 years in 4th grade. I taught at an independent school for gifted children. I loved teaching there, though gifted children are usually a challenge. Some of my former students are now my friends on Facebook.

Before I was a teacher I had several other careers. I majored in music in college. I play the (French) horn. Still. I had wonderful musical experiences, but eventually decided to stay in Chicago, changing direction. My husband was a high school band director until he retired. I was an editor at a music magazine for a couple of years.

We have two adult children. Our daughter is also a (French) horn player, in Houston. She plays and teaches horn for a living. Our son is a manager at a Starbucks and a fairly new father. Grandchildren are awesome.

Besides playing the horn, which actually takes quite a bit of my time as I play in three groups and sometimes help out with other groups, I read a lot, am dabbling in learning Scots Gaelic, and try to do healthy things. 

Though I have lived in the Chicago area longer than anywhere else, I was born in Seattle, lived for 5-1/2 years in Wisconsin, followed by 6 years in Connecticut before going off to college in upstate New York.

As another blogger said, if you have questions, I'll answer them if I can.




6 comments:

  1. I knew you were a Horn player but not that your career was so rich and varied. I also didn't realize you took on the challenge of gifted children. My own career was focused mostly on struggling learners.
    However, I sure can agree that grandchildren are pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. Yes, the grandson is amazing!

      Delete
  2. Not many teachers (retired or not) of gifted children can say "I play French Horn in several groups." And to have your daughter to follow your music foot septs. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My son's eyes glaze over when the music talk starts!

      Delete
  3. You certainly have done a lot and are doing many things. I like these introductory posts because I always learn something I didn't know. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them, too. This is really an amazing group of people, these bloggers.

      Delete